Re: trivial improvement to system_or_bail - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: trivial improvement to system_or_bail
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 30 Jun 2021, at 17:24, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
>
> When PostgresNode::system_or_bail() fails, it's quite opaque as to what
> is happening.  This patch improves things by printing some detail, as
> suggested in Perl's doc for system().

+1 on this from reading the patch.

+            BAIL_OUT("system $_[0] failed: $!\n");
I wonder if we should take more inspiration from the Perl manual and change it
to "failed to execute" to make it clear that the failure was in executing the
program, not from the program itself?