pg_dump error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject pg_dump error
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi,

I am using  PostgreSQL 9.0. It is installed on Windows XP. I am trying to take  a backup of the  database using pg_dump. But each time I give a command

Pg_dump pgdb > backup.sql

I am prompted for a password and I provided the database password. After this, I got an error as follows..

pg_dump: [archiver (db)] connection to database “pgdb” failed : FATAL: password authentication failed for user “windows user_name”.

Can somebody please tell me what I should be doing to avoid this error?

Thanks,

Mamatha