Re: Prevent printing "next step instructions" in initdb and pg_upgrade - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Prevent printing "next step instructions" in initdb and pg_upgrade
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2020-11-09 13:05, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> PFA a rebased version of this patch on top of what has happened since,
> and changing the pg_upgrade parameter to be --no-scripts.

It seems were are still finding out more nuances about pg_upgrade, but
looking at initdb for moment, I think the solution for wrapper scripts
is to just run initdb with >dev/null.  Or maybe if that looks a bit too
hackish, a --quiet option that turns everything on stdout off.

I think initdb has gotten a bit too chatty over time.  I think if it
printed nothing on stdout by default and the current output would be
some kind of verbose or debug mode, we wouldn't really lose much.  With
that in mind, I'm a bit concerned about adding options (and thus
documentation surface area etc.) to select exactly which slice of the
chattiness to omit.

--
Peter Eisentraut
2ndQuadrant, an EDB company