Re: guid/uuid datatype - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: guid/uuid datatype
Date
Re: guid/uuid datatype
Re: guid/uuid datatype
List pgsql-patches
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> When has the API for data types ever changed?

> The API doesn't change, but the way to do things inside the type
> functions does changes sometimes.

We've always done our best not to break user-defined datatypes without
need.  uuid doesn't seem to need any hooks into the core system that
would make it any more likely to break than anything else.

Per previous discussion, the main problem with a uuid type is the
new-uuid generator function, which tends to involve a bunch of
not-so-portable assumptions and code.  If we accept a uuid type in
either core or contrib, all of a sudden those portability issues are
our problem.  I'd rather not deal with that.

I'd be willing to accept a core uuid type sans generator function,
but is that really all that useful?

            regards, tom lane