Re: pgsql: Parameter toast_tuple_target controls TOAST for new rows - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Parameter toast_tuple_target controls TOAST for new rows
Date
List pgsql-committers
> On 2017-11-19 19:49:01 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> TBH, I would just remove those test cases.  Even if they were stable
>> across platforms, they don't directly prove anything at all about
>> whether the feature does what it's supposed to.

> I think it might make sense to rewrite the tests so it doesn't output
> any of the sizes, but instead just compares the size of tables with
> different thresholds. That should be fairly reliable.

Hm, what I'd try after a bit of thought is to stuff the same data
into two different tables with different settings chosen to make it
TOAST or not, and then just test the toast tables for zero or nonzero
size.  Setting STORAGE = EXTERNAL on the data column to disable
compression would help make things more stable, too.
        regards, tom lane