Re: [HACKERS] Declarative partitioning - another take - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Langote
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Declarative partitioning - another take
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thanks for the review.

On 2017/04/29 1:25, Robert Haas wrote:

>>> It seems better not to create any ResultRelInfos that we don't
>>> actually need, so +1 for such a revision to the patch.
>>
>> OK, done.  It took a bit more work than I thought.
>
> So, this seems weird, because rootResultRelIndex is initialized even
> when splan->partitioned_rels == NIL, but isn't actually valid in that
> case.  ExecInitModifyTable seems to think it's always valid, though.

OK, rootResultRelIndex is now set to a value >= 0 only when the node
modifies a partitioned table.  And then ExecInitModifyTable() checks if
the index is valid before initializing the root table info.

> I think the way that you've refactored fireBSTriggers and
> fireASTriggers is a bit confusing.  Instead of splitting out a
> separate function, how about just having the existing function begin
> with if (node->rootResultRelInfo) resultRelInfo =
> node->rootResultRelInfo; else resultRelInfo = node->resultRelInfo; ?
> I think the way you've coded it is a holdover from the earlier design
> where you were going to call it multiple times, but now that's not
> needed.

OK, done that way.

> Looks OK, otherwise.

Attached updated patch.