Re: question regarding policy for patches to out-of-support branches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: question regarding policy for patches to out-of-support branches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> I was having a discussion regarding out-of-support branches and effort
> to keep them building, but could not for the life of me find any actual
> documented policy (although I distinctly remember that we do something...).
> Is the policy written down somewhere, or is it only project lore? In
> either case, what is the actual policy?

I believe our policy was set in this thread:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/2923349.1634942313%40sss.pgh.pa.us

and you're right that it hasn't really been memorialized anywhere
else.  I'm not sure where would be appropriate.  Anyway, what
I think the policy is:

* Out-of-support versions back to (currently) 9.2 are still to be
kept buildable on modern toolchains.

* Build failures, regression failures, and easily-fixable compiler
warnings are candidates for fixes.

* We aren't too excited about code that requires external dependencies
(e.g. libpython) though, because those can be moving targets.

* Under no circumstances back-patch anything that changes external
behavior, as the point of the exercise is to be able to test against
the actual behavior of the last releases of these branches.