Re: pgsql: Blindly try to fix test script's tar invocation for MSYS. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: pgsql: Blindly try to fix test script's tar invocation for MSYS.
Date
List pgsql-committers
On 3/20/21 11:05 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> On 3/18/21 10:43 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Buildfarm member fairywren doesn't like the test case I added
>>> in commit 081876d75.  I'm guessing the reason is that I shouldn't
>>> be using a perl2host-ified path in the tar command line.
>> No, you shouldn't. The rule is that you need to use perl2host when
>> passing a path to a non-msys-aware program. This will typically be one
>> of our own artefacts, or the comand processor (via system(), qx() etc.).
>> But msys-aware programs such as utility programs like tar should get the
>> path just as the perl script sees it.
> Ah.  So it seems like the $64 question is how to know that tar, or any
> particular other program, is msys-aware.

1. If it's one of our artefacts it won't be - we're building to run
native without any msys involvement. (That's not quite true. It's
possible to build with msys as the target environment. But we don't, or
at least I don't, and I don't think anything else in the buildfarm does.)

2. Anything else (like tar) is very likely to be msys-aware. If there's
ever a doubt it might be possible to construct a test to look for the
program in the msys paths, but up to now we haven't really needed to,
and it seems likely to be overkill.

cheers

andrew

--