Re: DB size difference after restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Fabio Pardi
Subject Re: DB size difference after restore
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Sonam,

it is common that after an export (pg_dump) and a consecutive import, the new database uses less space than the old one.

Under some circumstances, indexes can become unbalanced or bloated, and tables bloated. And that uses more space than it should.

for the sake of trying it out: If you perform a 'vacuum full' on your old db, then the size should be very close or equal to the newly imported one.

hope it clarifies.

regards,

fabio pardi