Re: clustering failover... ala Oracle Parallel server - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexander Staubo
Subject Re: clustering failover... ala Oracle Parallel server
Date
List pgsql-general

Note that OPS is now called RAC (see http://orafaq.com/faq/what_is_rac_ops).

> How can the server be setup in a cluster for load-balancing and failover
> like perhaps OPS?

As I understand it, RAC implements a kind of multi-master replication
by sharing database files across multiple machines in conjunction with
a distributed lock manager.

I believe the closest you get to this scheme with PostgreSQL is
PGCluster-II (see
http://www.pgcon.org/2007/schedule/events/6.en.html), which implements
a shared-disk replicaton system. However, I believe the project is
still under development.

There are other ways to implement load-balancing and failover, using
tools such as Slony, pgpool and Skype's londiste. There have been a
dozen threads this year on this topic; I suggest you scan the mailing
list archives.

> How does the Postges solution compare to an Oracle? MSSQL? MySQL solution?

Does MySQL have anything resembling RAC?

Alexander.