Re: When should I worry? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexander Staubo
Subject Re: When should I worry?
Date
Re: When should I worry?
List pgsql-general
On 6/10/07, Tom Allison <tom@tacocat.net> wrote:
> The table itself is small (two columns: bigint, int) but I'm wondering when I'll
> start to hit a knee in performance and how I can monitor that.

You don't say anything about what the data is in the table or what
queries you run against it, so there's not much here to give advice
about.

For the monitoring, however, you can log your queries along with
timings and timestamps, and copy them into a tool like R to
statistically analyze your performance over time. You will be able to
predict the point at which your system will be too slow to use, if
indeed the performance degradation is expontential.

You can also periodically look at the pg_stat* tables to count the
number of index scans, table scans etc. on your table (see
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/monitoring-stats.html).

Alexander.