Re: PostgreSql replication and load balancing ( is Slony-I a solution?) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alexander Staubo
Subject Re: PostgreSql replication and load balancing ( is Slony-I a solution?)
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/1/07, Jan Bilek <bilekj@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is Slony-I capable of load balancing and how to set it up? We searched the
> web and some people mentioned that Slony-I could do load balancing, but
> haven't found how to make Slony-I to do it.

Slony does not do load balancing. Personally, I recommend doing the
load balancing in the application if possible; you will need to funnel
updates to the master and distribute queries to the slaves, and the
app is in the best position to determine whether something is an
update or a query. Any intermediate middleware is going to add
additional latency and overhead and will add just another single point
of failure to an already complex system.

Alexander.