Re: Backend protocol wanted features - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Kevin Wooten
Subject Re: Backend protocol wanted features
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Maybe we could format this wishlist into things that require “changes” to the backend protocol (such that a new version
iscreated) and things that are just additions without changing the protocol.

Adding features, using the current protocol, would probably be much more attainable in a short term.  There are quite a
fewitems that fall into this category.

> On Dec 29, 2015, at 12:22 PM, Kevin Wooten <kdubb@me.com> wrote:
>
> Add “schema change notifications”.
>
> Currently “-ng” uses a bit of magic, mid query, to detect when schema changes have occurred. This is how the binary
typesremain correctly mapped.  A notification sent whenever a type (basically anything in pg_type) is altered in any
waywould solve this problem perfectly. It would be best if the notification included the type oids that changed.

> The infrastructure is already there in both needed respects, notifications & it already knows internally about the
changes)so this should be something that could be easily added to the current protocol.