R: Autovacuum and frequent pg_bulkload - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Job
Subject R: Autovacuum and frequent pg_bulkload
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Adrian,
Thank you for your fast reply!

>FYI, Postgres 8.4 is over two years past EOL.
Yes, i am aware; we will migrate next year but for application compatibility reason we have at the moment to the remain
here..

>What are the steps in the load/delete cycle?

We need to load, with pg_bulkload, log datas for reporting.
We load every hours about one million of row and twice a day we generated aggregated report.
Then we delete old rows (we cannot use truncate because we only delere rows older than 24 hours).
I think, but i can be wrong, that pg_bulkload do not reuse free space marked previously by the delete..

Only vacuum full empty free space, but tablea became locked.

Thank you
Francesco