Re: feature request for Postgresql Rule system. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Broersma Jr
Subject Re: feature request for Postgresql Rule system.
Date
List pgsql-general
> > postgres=# update vwife
> >            set name = 'Katheryn',
> >                dresssize = 12
> >            where (id,name,dresssize)=(2,'katie',11);
> > UPDATE 0
> > postgres=# select * from vwife;
> >  id |   name   | dresssize
> > ----+----------+-----------
> >   2 | Katheryn |        11   <- DRESSSIZE should not be 12 correct?
> >       ^^^^^^^^  <--  update did change name but not dresssize?
> None of A, C, I, or D say that you need to report a truthful update
> count.
> The fact that the update count is wrong with updatable views is a known
> deficiency.

Peter sorry for belaboring this point, but I just wanted to verify if what I am seeing is already
know (whether it is a deficiency or not).  My concern regarding the rule system is not related to
the incorrect update count but the fact that my update statement was suppose to change BOTH name
AND dresssize. However, as you see only the name was changed, dresssize remains unchanged.
Therefore, I assumed that the update statement was not completed "atomically".

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.