Re: minor cleanup in plpgsql.sgml - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: minor cleanup in plpgsql.sgml
Date
List pgsql-patches
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> Funny. That's a good argument for doing it that way, but almost the same
> argument I make for putting the INTO at the end: so as to not confuse
> people with the "SELECT a,b,c INTO newtable FROM oldtable" sql syntax.
> In either case ISTM the existing recommendation is flawed.

Come to think of it, I think that the motivation for the existing
recommendation was precisely to have a syntax that is visibly different
from the SQL-level SELECT INTO, with an eye to eventually allowing the
SQL construct to work too.  This may not be very important though,
considering that SELECT INTO is deprecated in favor of CREATE TABLE AS.

            regards, tom lane