Re: postgres 7.1.3: why does the query plan ignore indexes? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgres 7.1.3: why does the query plan ignore indexes?
Date
List pgsql-sql
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us> writes:
>>> Should we consider adding some warning when someone creates an index on
>>> an int2 column?
>>
>> I don't think so.  Better to expend our energy on solving the
>> fundamental problem.

> I am thinking _until_ we fix the problem.  Is it actually hard to add?

Why int2 in particular?  And not int8?  float4?  Or numeric, float8,
or int4 in the wrong contexts?  How about bpchar or varchar?

I figure we can waste at least as much time arguing about when/where/why
to issue warnings as it will take to solve the real problem.
        regards, tom lane