Re: Question about integer out of range in function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Condor
Subject Re: Question about integer out of range in function
Date
List pgsql-general
On 14-05-2021 17:42, Tom Lane wrote:
> Condor <condor@stz-bg.com> writes:
>>       new_time = fromtime * 1000; -- here is line 19
>
> Are you entirely certain that you counted lines correctly?
> If new_time and fromtime are both declared bigint, and
> fromtime is on the order of
>
> # select extract(epoch from now())::bigint;
>   extract
> ------------
>  1621003124
> (1 row)
>
> then there's no way that that statement fails on integer overflow.
>
> What I'm wondering about is the next line:
>
>>       unix_time = (new_time + rand_int)::BIGINT;
>
> You've not shown us the declaration of unix_time ...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Sorry,
I was thinking I get the function from contrib and I think you guys know
it.
unix_time is BIGINT but I make a few more changes and now can't restore
old function to reproduce the problem.

I will try to recover the code later.

Regards,
HS