Re: MDAM techniques and Index Skip Scan patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jesper Pedersen
Subject Re: MDAM techniques and Index Skip Scan patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Peter,

On 10/21/21 22:16, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> I returned to the 1995 paper "Efficient Search of Multidimensional
> B-Trees" [1] as part of the process of reviewing v39 of the skip scan
> patch, which was posted back in May. It's a great paper, and anybody
> involved in the skip scan effort should read it thoroughly (if they
> haven't already). It's easy to see why people get excited about skip
> scan [2]. But there is a bigger picture here.

Thanks for starting this thread !

The Index Skip Scan patch could affect a lot of areas, so keeping MDAM
in mind is definitely important.

However, I think the key part to progress on the "core" functionality
(B-tree related changes) is to get the planner functionality in place
first. Hopefully we can make progress on that during the November
CommitFest based on Andy's patch.

Best regards,
  Jesper