Re: format of pg_upgrade loadable_libraries warning - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: format of pg_upgrade loadable_libraries warning
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2019-Oct-07, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> and the "in database" (which I have changed to capitalized "In database"
>> in the attached patch), looks like:
>> fprintf(script, "In database: %s\n", active_db->db_name);
>> meaning it _isn't_ an output error message, but rather something that
>> appears in an error file.  I don't think either of these are translated.
>> Is that wrong?

> pg_fatal is a "gettext trigger" (see nls.mk), so that part of the
> message is definitely translated.

Right, but Bruce's point is that what goes into the separate output
file listing problem cases is not translated, and never has been.
Maybe we should start doing so, but that would be a distinct issue.
I'm not really sure that we should translate it, anyway --- could
there be anyone out there who is using tools to process these files?

> BTW, how is one supposed to "manually upgrade databases that use
> contrib/isb"?  This part is not very clear.

Agreed, the pg_fatal message is claiming that you can do something
without really providing any concrete instructions for it.  I'm not
sure that that's helpful.