Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.3 and Intel C compiler - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 7.3.3 and Intel C compiler
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> But the snapshots only are grabbing the xids from each proc, right?
> Doesn't seem that would take very long.

Yeah, we've never seen any previous indication that grabbing a snapshot
is a bottleneck.  Also, I think it uses a shared (read) lock, so there
shouldn't really be contention, unless perhaps they are starting and
stopping backends very frequently as well.

> If this is the bottleneck, maybe we need a shared proc lock.

We need to understand what's happening before speculating about how to
fix it ...