Re: Conditional rule? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Itai Zukerman
Subject Re: Conditional rule?
Date
List pgsql-sql
> >         CREATE RULE newsrule AS ON INSERT TO news
> >             WHERE new.publishtime NOTNULL DO
> >             INSERT INTO news_unpublished VALUES (new.id);
>
> The following happens:
> rules=# insert into news (title, time) values('Hei', now());
> ERROR:  <unnamed> referential integrity violation - key referenced from
> news_unpublished not found in news

I noticed this, too.

More generally, I've found that whereas rules initially looked like a
great thing to use, in practice I have really no idea what they're
going to do.  And I find their description in the programmer's guide
confusing.  Is there any better rules tutorial out there?

-itai