Re: FAQ (disk space) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: FAQ (disk space)
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> This has been discussed, as Martijn says, and I believe the consensus
> was that the benefits wouldn't exceed the costs.  Note that a checksum
> does not magically prevent errors, it just means that you will detect
> errors and refuse to access potentially-corrupt data.

Well there are ECC codes that allow correcting errors as well. But I don't see
how that would help. You would have to check on every single memory access
since it's likely memory that will cause single bit errors, not disk. Disk is
more likely to give entire bad blocks.

I think the moral is that if you are afraid of single bit errors corrupting
data then you should probably spec out a server with ECC ram.

--
greg