Re: encoding bug or feature? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jorge Godoy
Subject Re: encoding bug or feature?
Date
List pgsql-general
marcelo Cortez <jmdc_marcelo@yahoo.com.ar> writes:

> Jorge
>

>  the postgreslq.conf say
>

> lc_messages = 'es_AR'                   # locale for
> system error message
>                                         # strings
> lc_monetary = 'es_AR'                   # locale for
> monetary formatting
> lc_numeric = 'es_AR'                    # locale for
> number formatting
> lc_time = 'es_AR'                               #
> locale for time formatting
>
> but the upper function fail for me.
> what is your settings?
> BTW the database is SQL_ASCII
>
> any pointer be appreciated
>  best regards

I believe you didn't get my reply to your personal message...  Here's its body
again:

My settings are all pt_BR.UTF-8.

# These settings are initialized by initdb -- they might be changed
lc_messages = 'pt_BR.UTF-8'                     # locale for system error message
                                                # strings
lc_monetary = 'pt_BR.UTF-8'                     # locale for monetary formatting
lc_numeric = 'pt_BR.UTF-8'                      # locale for number formatting
lc_time = 'pt_BR.UTF-8'                         # locale for time formatting

My database is also in UTF-8.

test=# \set
VERSION = 'PostgreSQL 8.1.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (GCC) 4.1.0 (SUSE Linux)'
AUTOCOMMIT = 'on'
VERBOSITY = 'default'
PROMPT1 = '%/%R%# '
PROMPT2 = '%/%R%# '
PROMPT3 = '>> '
DBNAME = 'test'
USER = 'godoy'
PORT = '5432'
ENCODING = 'UTF8'
HISTSIZE = '500'
test=#

Try creating a database with an encoding other than SQLASCII and see if it
works as you expect.

--
Jorge Godoy      <jgodoy@gmail.com>