Re: Collation at database level - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Collation at database level
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Radek Strnad" <radek.strnad@gmail.com> writes:

> The problem with POSIX locales is that you never know what
> locales user have got installed. I've discovered that some linux distros
> don't even have other than UTF-8 based locales.

On Debian you're even deeper in it. The user can configure which locales he's
actually interested in having on a machine. They're listed in /etc/locale.gen
but I wouldn't suggest looking there. I think you have to try switching
locales and see if setlocale returns NULL.

> Because of ANSI defines collations deffined by ISO-8859-1 and UTF-* we need
> to somehow implement these collations.

These are encodings. What ANSI spec are you referring to, SQL? What does it
actually say?

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's 24x7 Postgres support!