Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL for GPS Data - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: PostgreSQL versus MySQL for GPS Data
Date
List pgsql-general
juankarlos.openggd@gmail.com (Juan Pereira) writes:
> Quite interesting! The main reason why we thought using a table per
> truck was because concurrent load: if there are 100 trucks trying to
> write in the same table, maybe the performance is worse than having
> 100 tables, due to the fact that the table is blocked for other
> queries while the writing process is running, isn't it?

You're assuming something that is distinctly Not True of PostgreSQL.
You do NOT require an exclusive lock on a table in order to write to
it.

For writes to tables to acquire an exclusive lock on the table happens
to be a specific feature of the MySQL(tm) storage engine called
MyISAM.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxdatabases.info" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxfinances.info/info/spreadsheets.html