Re: LDAP authentication slow - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Cross
Subject Re: LDAP authentication slow
Date
List pgsql-general
C GG <cgg0007@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 2:50 PM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> * C GG (cgg0007@gmail.com) wrote:
>> they
>> >
>> > By and large, we're using pre-existing tools that would have to be
>> heavily
>> > modified to co-opt GSSAPI as an authentication method. For some
>> > tools/applications, it's just not practical to use a ticket. But the
>> > username/password paradigm is well supported. Most of these tools aren't
>> > being used on Windows machines. That's not to say that Linux and macOS
>> > don't have robust Kerberos tools available for use, but thinking that
>> > Kerberos tickets are just floating out there in login-space waiting to be
>> > used by psql and other tools isn't really the case in our environment.
>>
>> This argument doesn't really hold much weight.  Anything using libpq is
>> likely to work well with GSSAPI and most languages base their access to
>> PG on libpq.  Ensuring that a ticket is available also isn't hard with
>> k5start or similar.  Even proxying tickets with mod_auth_kerb or similar
>> isn't all that difficult to get going to leverage SPNEGO.
>>

> Sounds complicated.
>

>> > The main reason for moving to LDAP(S) is the ability to enforce password
>> > quality and rotation without the risk of disclosure (
>> > https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/static/passwordcheck.html) ...
>> Allowing
>> > pre-hashed passwords to be sent to the back-end circumvents any
>> protections
>> > passwordcheck might give. Plus, passwordcheck isn't available in all
>> > PostgreSQL environments (I'm specifically thinking of AWS RDS).
>>
>> This seems entirely out-of-place and not related to GSSAPI (pre-hashed
>> passwords..?).  Further, password quality and rotation would be able to
>> be handled by AD instead of trying to do it in PG, though this also
>> seems to be conflating different things (are you talking about access
>> from an application, whose password should be randomly generated to
>> begin with, or users..?).
>>

> Correct. Password quality and rotation needs to be handled in AD instead of
> trying to do it in PG.
>
> I'm feeling attacked for trying to work with the tools I have available to
> me and the constraints I have been given.
>

>> > Unless I've missed something GSSAPI is still out of consideration if
>> we're
>> > having to supply username/password combinations in connection strings.
>>
>> There continues to be some confusion here as with GSSAPI you
>> specifically wouldn't need to include passwords in connection strings.
>>
>> > I am still wondering what can we do to speed LDAP(S) up? Is there a
>> > speedier authentication delegation paradigm that utilizes
>> username/password
>> > from the client?
>>
>> Passing passwords around between different systems for authentication is
>> likely to be expensive and insecure.  Using SCRAM on PG would at least
> [...]

You could see if using openLDAP performs better.

In our environment, we have both AD and openLDAP. We use the AD password
sync service to synchronise passwords across AD and LDAP. Attributes in
both systems are managed by MS Forefront. Our environment has a large
mix of technologies - servers are roughly evenly split between Linux and
MS - still probably more Linux, though MS has been increasing in recent
years. Databases are a mix of Oracle and Postgres plus a smattering of
MySQL. Staff numbers are around 3k with about 60% on MS, 35% OSX and 5%
Linux. Client base is about 80k.

The reason we use both openLDAP and AD is because there are differences
between the two which are important for some of our applications (for
example, attributes which are single valued under LDAP standards but can
be multi-valued under AD) and because we need additional schemas which
are easy to implement in standards compliant LDAP, but difficult in
AD. We also found that when just requiring LDAP functionality, openLDAP
out performed AD.

How easily this can be done in your environment will depend on your
identity management solution. Depending on what that is, it may be as
easy as just adding another downstream target and a few mapping rules.
In this case, it would probably be an overall win. However, if your IAM
system cannot manage things easily, this is probably not practical.

There has been another thread regarding LDAP performance where the issue
looks like it could be a DNS related problem. It seems establishing
connections is close when LDAP address is specified using name and
faster when just an IP address is used. This could be something else you
should look at. We had an issue a while back where our central IT
provider made changes to DNS to improve security and enabling better
handling of misbehaving clients - essentially, it was a DNS throttling
configuration which would temporarily block requests from an IP if
the number of requests being made was  above a specified threshold. This
caused some initial problems for us as we found some application
libraries did not perform proper DNS caching and would regularly exceed
the threshold. It also took some trial and error to get the right
watermark for the throttling. A simple test like using IP address rather than name
would likely help to identify if DNS related issues could be the cause
or whether it is just an AD specific issue.

Definitely check AD logs as well - the issue could be simply that adding
a new system has increased demand sufficiently to degrade performance of
AD (though I would expect there would be complaints from others outside
the DB area if this was the case).

The GSSAPI approach is not as complicated as it sounds, but it can be
affected by environment/infrastructure architecture and it will be
critical to ensure you have good time synchronisation. This can be
somewhat challenging in hybrid environments where you have a mix of
local and remote services. When it all works, it is great, but when you
do have a problem, diagnosis can be challenging.

The overall approach of having one identity with one password per entity
is IMO the right approach and your only hope for good password policy
application. However, getting to that point can be very challenging.

--
Tim Cross