Re: -fpic vs. -fPIC - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: -fpic vs. -fPIC
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lowen@pari.edu> writes:

> So, no, -fPIC does not appear to be required for libpq.

My understanding was that at least on some platforms once you need -fPIC for
some libraries you need to make sure they were all compiled with it. That
means it's a pain if any libraries are provided compiled with -fpic because
whenever find one that reaches that threshold they all have to be recompiled.

At least Debian decided long ago to just make everything -fPIC to avoid having
problems later. I don't know what the convention is on other OS's though.

--
greg