Re: PostGreSQL and recursive queries... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: PostGreSQL and recursive queries...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> I could imagine problems the planner would have to deal with though, such as
>> what type is "bogon" in this query?
>
>> WITH RECURSIVE x(bogon) AS (select bogon from x) select * from x;
>
> Just a note --- that's not the planner's problem, either.  Semantic
> interpretation of the meaning of a query is supposed to be completed
> during parse analysis.

I was being sloppy. I just mean as opposed to the executor. Ie, that the code
to build the plan is harder than actually running it.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's RemoteDBA services!