Re: Using rules to implement backward-compatible schema changes - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Mario Becroft
Subject Re: Using rules to implement backward-compatible schema changes
Date
List pgsql-sql
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Mario Becroft <pgsql@becroft.co.nz> writes:
>> The problem is that when inserting to the view, default values do not
>> work as expected.
>
> You need to attach the defaults to the view, viz
>
>     ALTER TABLE a ALTER COLUMN bar SET DEFAULT 5;
>
> This is considered a feature not a bug, since you might want a
> different default for inserts to the view than for inserts
> directly to the underlying table.

This crossed my mind, but I could not find a way of specifying defaults
for a view. I see now that it must be done with ALTER TABLE.

Thanks for your help with this problem.

--
Mario Becroft (postgres-related mail) <pgsql@becroft.co.nz>