Re: [RFC] Unsigned integer support. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: [RFC] Unsigned integer support.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:

> Hmm, if we do that, how would the system resolve something like this?
>
> select 1000 + 1000

Well we have the same problem with 'foo' || 'bar'. The question I think is
whether the solution there scales to having two different fallback types.

> There would be no clue as to what + operator to pick, since both
> operands are unknown.  This is in fact what happens today with
>
> alvherre=# select '100' + '100';
> ERROR:  operator is not unique: unknown + unknown at character 14
> HINT:  Could not choose a best candidate operator. You might need to add explicit type casts.
> STATEMENT:  select '100' + '100';

Perhaps we could kill two birds with one stone...

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's 24x7 Postgres support!