Re: Unicode support - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Gierth
Subject Re: Unicode support
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>>> I don't believe that the standard forbids the use of combining>>> chars at all.  RFC 3629 says:>>> >>> ... This
issueis amenable to solutions based on Unicode>>> Normalization Forms, see [UAX15].

Gregory> This is the relevant part. Tom was claiming that the UTF8Gregory> encoding required normalizing the string of
unicodeGregory>codepoints before encoding. I'm not sure that's true though,Gregory> is it?

FWIW, the SQL spec puts the onus of normalization squarely on the
application; the database is allowed to assume that Unicode strings
are already normalized, is allowed to behave in implementation-defined
ways when presented with strings that aren't normalized, and provision
of normalization functions and predicates is just another optional
feature.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)