Re: FreeBSD 12 and Postgres build failures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Gierth
Subject Re: FreeBSD 12 and Postgres build failures
Date
List pgsql-general

 Karl> "cc" on FreeBSD is now (and has been for quite some time) clang:

 Karl> If it will compile Postgres now it definitely would not when it
 Karl> was first shifted to;

People have been building PG with clang since at least as far back as
clang 3.1, and the FreeBSD 10.0 (which I believe was the first FreeBSD
release where clang was the default) package builds of PG were built
with clang 3.3. (Now, of course, clang is _required_ if you want to try
out the new JIT features.)

Building with gcc on FreeBSD is not the default on a clean system, and
as we've recently seen with another report, there are issues with mixing
the gcc and llvm toolchains on some architectures that are not in any
way PG's problem to solve. (Though the fact that we prefer gcc to cc in
configure if both are found is a decision that should probably be
revisited, given that the reasons for that preference are mostly
consigned to the graveyard of commercial Unix variants.)

You might also have considered that the fact that package builds exist
for pg 10 and 11 on FreeBSD 12 is a demonstration that building them is,
in fact, possible on a clean system...

 Karl> root@NewFS:/home/karl # which gcc
 Karl> /usr/local/bin/gcc

I had not previously noticed that the lang/gcc metaport (which I have
never installed, though I have lang/gcc8 installed at the moment)
installs a symlink to the selected gcc version as just "gcc". That
explains a lot.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)