JDBC driver throws unfriendly exceptions - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Jered Floyd
Subject JDBC driver throws unfriendly exceptions
Date
List pgsql-bugs
                        POSTGRESQL BUG REPORT TEMPLATE

Your name        :    Jered Floyd
Your email address    :    jered@permabit.com

System Configuration
---------------------
  Architecture (example: Intel Pentium)      : x86

  Operating System (example: Linux 2.0.26 ELF)     : Linux 2.2.17

  PostgreSQL version (example: PostgreSQL-7.0):   PostgreSQL-7.0.3

  Compiler used (example:  gcc 2.8.0)        : gcc 2.95.2

While using the JDBC driver:
Attempting to access data from a ResultSet (with getXXX(), etc.) before
calling ResultSet.next() causes a NullPointerException to be thrown at
the deference of this_row[] at ResultSet.java:164.

Yes, I'm a bonehead for trying to access the row data before calling
next(), but this isn't the ideal thing to have happen. The driver should
catch this case (by checking this_row[] or catching the exception) and
throw something more descriptive.

Please describe a way to repeat the problem.   Please try to provide a

After construcing a PreparedStatement ps:
  int i;
  ResultSet rs = ps.executeQuery();
  if (rs != null)
    i = getInt(1);

If you know how this problem might be fixed, list the solution below:

As I mention above, the driver should catch this case and throw a more
descriptive exception. It's inappropriate and un-neighborly to go
around throwing exceptions like NullPointerException or
ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException.

I think (hope) the JDBC driver is a moving target, so I'll take a look
at this issue when I move over to using 7.1beta (after I've beaten 7.0
into submission.)