Re: Chart of Accounts - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Chart of Accounts
Date
Re: Chart of Accounts  ("Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
justin <justin@emproshunts.com> writes:

> special note do not use only 2 decimal points in the accounting tables.  If
> your application uses 10 decimal places somewhere then every table in the
> database that has decimals needs to have the same precision.  Nothing is more
> annoying where a transaction says 1.01 and the other side says 1.02 due to
> rounding.

FWIW I think this is wrong. You need to use precisely the number of decimal
places that each datum needs. If you use extra it's just as wrong as if you
use too few.

For example, when you buy gas/petrol at $1.999/gallon and buy 4 gallons you
get charged $8.00 not $7.996. If you fail to round at that point you'll find
that your totals don't agree with the amount of money in your actual bank
account.

--
  Gregory Stark