Re: Range types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Range types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com> writes:
>> Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>>>     foreach p2_member in unnest(p2) loop
>>>         p1 := array(select period_except(p1_member, p2_member)
>>>                 from unnest(p1) p1_member);
>>>     end loop;
>>>
>>> But maybe it can be done in a single SQL command.
>
>> Yeah, as soon as you have LATERAL, I think. Without it there's no way to
>> compose SRF in SQL, AFAIK.
>
> Hm, how would you do it with LATERAL?  The problem is not so much
> composition as the need for a variable number of rounds of
> composition.

Let's have a try at it:

select p2_member, array_accum(p1) from unnest(p2) as p2_member      lateral (select period_except(p1_member, p2_member)
               from unnest(p1) p1_member) as x(p1);

I'm not sure I understand how the explicit looping over unnest(p2) is different
from using lateral, or even if that's what you're talking about when
mentioning variable number of rounds.

Regards,
--
dim