Re: What does PostgreSQL do when time goes backward? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From John Hasler
Subject Re: What does PostgreSQL do when time goes backward?
Date
Re: What does PostgreSQL do when time goes backward?  (Frank Bax <fbax@sympatico.ca>)
List pgsql-sql

Ken writes:
> PostgreSQL does not use system time to track transactions so you
> should be good.

Thank you.

> Also, these types of clock changes by ntpd use the adjtime() system
> call which either slows or speeds the system clock to make the
> adjustment over a period of time so it should be minimally disruptive.

This is about Chrony <http://www.chrony.tuxfamily.org>, an alternative
ntp implementation.  In any case, both chronyd and ntpd can step the
clock (possibly backwards) at bootup under some rare circumstances.

Ken writes:
> These do seem to be larger values than you might expect from a clock
> conditioned with ntpd.  Is it a VM or is there something going on that
> would stop or suspend your system?

There is certainly something wrong there.
--
John Hasler
jhasler@newsguy.com