From Neil Conway
Subject Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Mark Pritchard <mark@tangent.net.au> writes:
> I believe its been said before, in this forum no less, that
> PostgreSQL should focus on its primary role as an RDBMS and not be
> paranoid about security. I believe it was the thread on SSL
> connections, and Tom suggested a simple ssh tunnel or vpn.

I'd say the two issues are pretty different. IMHO, buffer overruns and
similar security problems are just a special class of software bug
(it's interesting to note that most of the buffer overruns have been
found in the less-maintained parts of the system, like the cash type
or contrib/). Therefore, the justification for fixing buffer overruns
(and avoiding them in the first place) is the same as for fixing other
kinds of bugs: it makes the system more reliable.

On the other hand, adding something like SSL tends to make the system
more complex (and therefore *less* reliable). There may or may not be
a pay-off from a user's POV, but it's not the clear win that avoiding
buffer overruns is, IMHO.

> Of course, lets not leave the door wide open, but perhaps the
> developer's time would be better spent on features such as schemas
> and replication.

It's probably worth noting that the "barrier to entry" for fixing
buffer overruns or doing a code audit is much, much lower than for
implementing advanced features like schemas or replication. The main
thing that auditing code requires is time, rather than coding
skill/knowledge.

Cheers,

Neil