Re: Quick pointer required re indexing geometry - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Quick pointer required re indexing geometry
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Paul Matthews <plm@netspace.net.au> writes:
> Witting a box@>point function easy. Having a spot of trouble trying to
> figure out where and how to graft this into the GiST stuff. Could
> someone please point me in the general direction?

You want index support for it, I suppose?

Without index support (but needed anyway), you implement your code in a
C module then make it visible from SQL. I'm not sure you're asking help
for the C part so don't expand, please ask more if needed:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION box_contains_point(box, point)
RETURNS bool
AS 'MODULE_PATHNAME'
LANGUAGE 'C' IMMUTABLE STRICT;

CREATE OPERATOR @> (LEFTARG    = box,RIGHTARG   = point,PROCEDURE  = box_contains_point,COMMUTATOR = '<@',RESTRICT   =
contsel,JOIN      = contjoinsel

);
COMMENT ON OPERATOR @>(box, point) IS 'box contains point?';

Now for adding support for index lookups, you have to see documentation
about OPERATOR CLASS and OPERATOR FAMILY. I guess you need to make a
family out of point and box if none already exists, add the @> operator
there and point to your function.

I'm unclear if you need to add it to an OPERATOR CLASS too and which, so
I won't risk into writing the commands. Cross datatype indexing support,
as far as I've understood, is tied together with operator families.

Hope this helps, regards,
--
dim