Re: AW: Linux Update Experience - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Cross
Subject Re: AW: Linux Update Experience
Date
List pgsql-general
Zwettler Markus (OIZ) <Markus.Zwettler@zuerich.ch> writes:

> Hi Marco,
>

> How do you handle these conflicts? No longer updating that regularly or not at all anymore?

Not doing the updates is a poor option due to the potential security
vulnerabilities this may lead to. Likewise, delaying the application of
updates is going to increase risks as well. In fact, we have found such
approaches can make the situation worse. Delaying updates tends to
result in more updates being applied at once, which makes it harder to
identify problems when they do occur.

I think the best approach is to apply updates as soon as possible. Apply
the updates to a test or uat environment (or your dev environment if you
don't have a test/uat/staging one). If there are issues, resolve them
before applying the updates in prod.

We have found it rare for updates to be an issue if your running the
packages from the distribution. Problems seem to be more common when
your running packages sourced from an external repository which may lag
behind changes made by the distribution. When issues do occur, we look
at the type of update e.g. security, bug fix, bump in dependency
versions, new version etc and make a call as to the priority and respond
accordingly. This may mean delaying applying the update, actively
working to resolve the issue with investigations and debugging, raising
an issue/bug with the package maintainers etc.

We also classify all our systems, services, databases etc according to
whether they are core business processes or supporting processes. We
apply updates to supporting systems before core systems. This also
affects when we apply updates. For example, we would not apply updates
to a core system on Friday afternoon. In fact, we may apply updates to
core systems outside main business hours. If issues are encountered when
applying updates to core systems, resolution of those issues are highest
priority. For secondary systems, we are more likely to do the updates
during business hours, will accept longer outages/down times and may not
make resolution of issues the highest priority.