Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Gierth
Subject Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction
Date
List pgsql-hackers

 >> Is that the right fix, though? (It forces --locale-provider=libc for
 >> the cluster default, which might not be desirable?)

 Jeff> For the "no locale" behavior (memcmp()-based) the provider needs
 Jeff> to be libc. Do you see an alternative?

Can lc_collate_is_c() be taught to check whether an ICU locale is using
POSIX collation?

There's now another bug in that --no-locale no longer does the same
thing as --locale=C (which is its long-established documented behavior).
How should these various options interact? This all seems not well
thought out from a usability perspective, and I think a proper fix
should involve a bit more serious consideration.

--
Andrew.