Re: Problem with locks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Problem with locks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
>> I've written a synthetic test program to check for lost semaphore wakeups.
>
> Seems to me this proves nothing much, since it doesn't use the same SysV
> semaphore API PG does.  Please adjust so that it looks more like our
> code --- in particular there should be multiple processes having
> semaphores in the same semid group.

I was trying to copy the semaphore API exactly assuming
USE_NAMED_POSIX_SEMAPHORES was *not* defined. According to the comments we
prefer not to use named semaphores if possible.

> Also, I think you have race conditions at shutdown --- the appearance of
> the "thread %d lost a wakeup" message would not convince me there was
> a bug in the least.  You need to make sure the workers exit at a known
> point in their loop.

I intended to try to recreate the dynamics of the deadlock timeout timer
signal. This was just a first cut.