Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:

> Gregory Stark wrote:
>> "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce2@obviously.com> writes:
>>
>> > Unless they are in the habit of doing:
>> >
>> > # COLUMNS=$COLUMNS ls -C |cat
>>
>> Some of us are actually in the habit of doing that because it's easier to use
>> the standard interface than remembering the different command-line option for
>> each command. I quite often do precisely that with dpkg, for example.
>
> Yes, this is true, but it assume the application is not going to set
> $COLUMNS itself, like psql does in interactive mode:
>
>     test=> \echo `echo $COLUMNS`
>     127
>
>     $ sql -c '\echo `echo $COLUMNS`' test
>     (empty)
>
> Now, we could get fancy and honor $COLUMNS only in non-interactive mode,
> but that seems confusing.

We could always read COLUMNS early on before readline is initialized and stash
the value away in a variable. But...

We would only look at COLUMNS if the ioctl for window size failed. Does
psql/readline do anything to COLUMNS in that case?

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's RemoteDBA services!