Re: CUBE, ROLLUP, GROUPING SETS? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: CUBE, ROLLUP, GROUPING SETS?
Date
List pgsql-general
Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when nicolas.barbier@gmail.com ("Nicolas Barbier") would write:
> 2006/10/28, Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>:
>
>> On Tuesday 10 October 2006 15:19, stig erikson wrote:
>>
>>> Are there any plans to implement CUBE, ROLLUP and/or GROUPING SETS in
>>> future PostgreSQL versions? I could not find any info on the TODO-page.
>>
>> I've heard people mention it, but no one has ever come up with a
>> solid proposal or patch.  Depending on what your doing there are
>> ways to simulate those things with more standard sql.
>
> CUBE, ROLLUP and GROUPING SETS are at least part of SQL 2003.
> Supporting them would probably also include optimized ways to
> execute them, like calculating all aggregations in one run for
> ROLLUP (instead of doing multiple scans).

I'm sure a good implementation would include such things.

I'm not sure it's anywhere near trivial to do so; it may be nontrivial
to efficiently do all those aggregates at once.  We'll presumably
discover this if and when someone begins work on it...
--
"cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/postgresql.html