Re: How to always run UPDATE FROM despite missing records in the source table? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andrew Gierth
Subject Re: How to always run UPDATE FROM despite missing records in the source table?
Date
List pgsql-general

 Alexander> even though I wonder what is the (VALUES
 Alexander> ('20.20.20.20'::inet)) v(ip) construct there, some temporary
 Alexander> table which is then LEGT JOINed to the geoip table?

The SQL spec calls it a <table value constructor>. The VALUES clause
behaves like a SELECT that returns a fixed number of rows (1 or more)
whose columns contain the results of the specified expressions. The
v(ip) part is just a table and column alias (I omitted the optional AS
keyword out of long habit) to name the constructed table.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)