Re: BUG #3638: UTF8 Character encoding does NOT work - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: BUG #3638: UTF8 Character encoding does NOT work
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Fil Matthews" <fil@internetmediapro.com> writes:

> In Short A Postgres UTF8 database .. PGCLIENENCODING=UTF8
> Insert into test values (  chr(146));;

Can you explain what you expected to happen here? Did you, for example, expect
the character with Unicode code point 146 to be inserted? Because the single
byte 146 isn't a valid UTF8 character.

In PostgreSQL 8.2 I don't think there's any function to generate an arbitrary
Unicode code point. You'll have to do that on the client end and encode it in
UTF8 before sending. In PostgreSQL 8.3 chr() will in fact be modified to do
this.

--
  Gregory Stark