Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:

> Gregory Stark wrote:
>> > Now, we could get fancy and honor $COLUMNS only in non-interactive mode,
>> > but that seems confusing.
>>
>> We could always read COLUMNS early on before readline is initialized and stash
>> the value away in a variable. But...
>>
>> We would only look at COLUMNS if the ioctl for window size failed. Does
>> psql/readline do anything to COLUMNS in that case?
>
> We do look at COLUMNS if the ioctl() fails, but not for file/pipe
> output.

Yeah, it looks like your most recent patch still has the bug that if the user
specifies wrapped there are some complicated rules creating cases where it
will ignore the user's request and use un-wrapped output instead.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Get trained by Bruce Momjian - ask me about
EnterpriseDB'sPostgreSQL training!