Re: Upgrade 10.5->10.6 : db crash BUS ERROR (sig 10), reproducible - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Andrew Gierth
Subject Re: Upgrade 10.5->10.6 : db crash BUS ERROR (sig 10), reproducible
Date
List pgsql-admin

 >> You can check whether your CPU supports SSE2 by looking at the Features=
 >> line in /var/run/dmesg.boot. It seems unlikely that it does not, because
 >> SSE2 was introduced in 2000 with the Pentium 4.

 Peter> No need to check; I am absolutely certain that it does NOT.
 Peter> https://www.asus.com/supportonly/CUV4X-DLS/HelpDesk_CPU/

 Peter> But, Your explanation seems not to answer the fundamental
 Peter> question: if the database at 10.6 is still supposed to be able
 Peter> to run without SSE2?

Yes, the database is supposed to be able to run without SSE2, as long as
it is built with gcc and not clang, and without any architecture flags
that imply SSE2 support.

I'm pretty sure nothing in our buildfarm is i386 without SSE2 though.

 Peter> Whateever information You like to have, just ask and I will
 Peter> gladly do my best to obtain it, as I get around. (This is a
 Peter> reproducible on a very well maintained piece of software - this
 Peter> is rather fun.)

Your backtrace implies that you are running with checksums enabled;
true?

You should be able to build the port with debugging enabled by setting
WITH_DEBUG=1 in the environment or on the make command line. (I have not
yet tried this myself - I rarely build from the port.)

 Peter> The crash happens at a specific query - I get parse,bind, but no
 Peter> execute timing.

What is the exact query?

I'm doing some investigations of my own, I may have more questions
later.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)