Re: PostgreSQL on 64 bit Linux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Douglas McNaught
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on 64 bit Linux
Date
List pgsql-hackers
mark@mark.mielke.cc writes:

> I believe the answer is no. No or few 64-bit optimization possibilities
> have been chased down, probably because some or many of these would:
>
>     1) require significant re-architecture
>
>     2) reduce the performance in a 32-bit world

Honestly, I think the main "optimizations" happen automatically: the
compiler uses the extra registers (if present) and pointers in LP64
mode are automatically 64-bit, which allows much larger memory areas.
That's probably 95% of the win right there.  What other
"optimizations" need doing?

People have been running PG with big databases on 64-bit iron for
years; don't you think any glaring infelicities would have been
addressed?

> It's a question that only half interests me. As with most projects, I
> don't think the projects are ready to re-architect for this
> purpose.

What re-architecting would be needed?

-Doug