Re: contrib function naming, and upgrade issues - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Gierth
Subject Re: contrib function naming, and upgrade issues
Date
Re: contrib function naming, and upgrade issues  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
>> I'm hesitant to do that when we don't yet have either a design or>> a migration plan for the module facility.  We
mightfind we'd shot>> ourselves in the foot, or at least complicated the migration>> situation unduly.
Robert> I think there have been a few designs proposed, but I thinkRobert> part of the problem is a lack of agreement
ontheRobert> requirements.  "module facility" seems to mean a lot ofRobert> different things to different people.

Some ideas:
- want to be able to do  INSTALL PACKAGE foo;  without needing to  mess with .sql files.  This might default to looking
for $libdir/foo.so, or there might be a mechanism to register packages  globally or locally.
- want to be able to do  INSTALL PACKAGE foo VERSION 1;  and get  the version 1 API rather than whatever the latest is.
- want to be able to do  INSTALL PACKAGE foo SCHEMA bar;  rather  than having to edit some .sql file.
- want to be able to do  DROP PACKAGE foo;
- want pg_dump to not output the definitions of any objects that  belong to a package, but instead to output an INSTALL
PACKAGEfoo  VERSION n SCHEMA x;

--
Andrew.